Small actions that add up to summer savings
Thursday Jul 04th, 2019
Who doesn’t love spending time with family and friends during the summer? Longer days with warm nights are the perfect time for barbecues, family picnics and day trips with the kids.
But these little things can put a strain on your monthly budget. Finding small ways to save can make all the difference and may help provide a little breathing room that can add up to something special.
Here are some small energy-saving actions that can ad -up to savings not just in the summer, but all year long.
- Remember to weather-strip. Important in any season, sealing up any drafty gaskets and doorframes means the cool air you pay for in summer won’t escape out of any nooks and crannies. In colder months, it will help keep your home nice and cozy.
- Be smart with your thermostat. Changing your thermostat to be warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter might seem like a hassle but the savings can add up quickly. Keep your thermostat as close as you can to outside temperatures, per your comfort — every degree closer can mean a savings of 5 per cent. Consider installing a smart thermostat that you can control from your phone and that react to temperature changes automatically.
- Run your appliances only when full. Don’t feel guilty about not cleaning those dishes or dirty socks immediately. Waiting for a full load of dishes or laundry before running your appliances allows them to work more efficiently.
- Explore efficient upgrades. You still have to do laundry, shower and wash dishes. Energy Star energy-efficient upgrades are designed to save electricity and can sometimes make the biggest impact on your bill.
- Make a call. Funded by the Province of Ontario, The AffordAbility Fund can provide free energy-efficient upgrades like LED lightbulbs and new energy-efficient appliances. See what you may qualify for at affordabilityfund.org.
Post a comment